The HPE MSL4048 tape libraries can be partitioned into logical libraries to match the number of tape drives installed.
You can have 2 full height tape drives in MSL4048 or 4 half-height tape drives.
In this example, we are partitioning the physical library into two logical tape libraries using two half-height tape drives. The physical library is connected to the hosts (servers) through FC switches.
- Ensure the tape drives are connected to slots 1 & 3 in the library. If moving the tape drives to different slots, ensure you change the FC zoning as the WWPN is for the slot and not the tape drive (makes sense – ability to replace drives without requiring any additional change)
- Login to HPE Command View (IP address of the tape library) using a web browser. Remember to login as an Administrator
- Go to Configuration –> System
- Change Select Mode to “Two Logical Libraries” and select “Apply” This option will only be available if the tape drives are in correct slots.
- Ensure all other settings are correct to match your environment. Once complete, drive 1 will be allocated the left enclosure and drive 2 takes up right enclosure.
- If mail slot is enabled, logical library 1 (tape drive 1) will lose 3 slots to mail slot reducing its slot count to 21 while logical library 2 (tape drive 2) will have 24 slots.
- Now configure FC zoning to map servers to their own logical tape libraries.